The Department of Transportation (DOT) has opened its pre-solicitation window from January 6th to January 29th, 2020. While no applications can be submitted during this time, it is a welcome opportunity to check out FAQs and ask inquiries of DOT SBIR representatives, and a great time to pre-register for some of the required registrations you know you will need to apply. These registrations include SBA’s Company Registry Database and the System for Award Management (SAM).
What Do We Know?
While this is not a true solicitation, there are a few important pieces of information we are almost certain of. However, the wise thing to do, as you know, is to always check the official website and solicitation before making any decisions or taking any action. We know the award ceiling is usually capped at $150,000 for the 6-month Phase I award and at $1,000,000 for the 24-month Phase II. We know the eligibility requirements state that applicants must be a small business with fewer than 500 employees and be at least 51% U.S. based.
Key Dates for DOT SBIR
The DOT anticipates releasing the official #SBIR solicitation on or around February 6th, 2020. To learn more, sign up for the webinar anticipated February 11, 2020. The webinar will cover the solicitation and new program changes. You can learn more about the webinar or sign up at the DOT website.
DOT SBIR Solicitation Topics
Proposed FY20 Research Topics Full descriptions of each proposed research topic are included in Appendix A of the pre-solicitation notice.
FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA)
- 20-FA1: Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) of Critical Nickel Turbine Engine Parts
FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION (FHWA)
- 20-FH1: Physical Intervention System for Wrong-way Driving on Ramps
- 20-FH2: Innovative Layered Composite Metal Deck System
- 20-FH3: Real-time Monitoring and Modeling of Scour
FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION (FRA)
- 20-FR1: Autonomous Track Inspection Technology
- 20-FR2: AI-Aided Machine Vision for Grade Crossing Safety
- 20-FR3: Platform Edge Proximity Detection to Prevent Inadvertent Passenger Car Door Opening
- 20-FR4: Crushed Aggregate Gradation Evaluation System
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (NHTSA)
- 20-NH1: In-Vehicle Occupant Detection System
PIPELINE AND HAZARDOUS MATERIALS SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (PHMSA)
- 20-PH1: Development and Validation of Inline Inspection (ILI) Technologies for Circumferential Anomalies and Bending Stresses
- 20-PH2: Internal Repair of Steel Transmission Pipelines
- 20-PH3: Geohazard Identification and Quantification for Pipeline Risk Models
- 20-PH4: Scaling up of Composite Metal Foam Manufacturing for HazMat Packaging
We work with high-growth startups and organizations that support the startup and innovation ecosystem. We build highly specific non-dilutive funding menus, provide proposal preparation services, and measure outcomes of funding through evaluation. Schedule a consult call with us HERE.