In response to the overwhelming need for Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program and proposal preparation education, E.B. Howard Consulting will be hosting an informational webinar on the topic. The program, “Beyond Grant Writing 101: Fundamentals and Advanced Toolkit for SBIR/STTR” will take place on December 15th, 2020. Tickets will be available on Eventbrite beginning November 16th. The presentation will focus on the history and overview of SBIR/STTR, the difference between the two programs, deep insight into best practices for proposal preparation, and a Q&A session.
What will be covered?
- Overview of SBIR/STTR: General principles and purpose of funding, types of funding (e.g., Contract vs. Grant, Phase I vs. Phase II vs. Phase III), participating agencies, and finding out which agencies fund your topic of interest.
- Quick History: How the funding line came about, the legislative focus, intent, and the type of application that has been historically funded.
- SBIR vs. STTR: Outline the subtle differences between the two funding lines and note what to be aware of when submitting proposals.
- Pre-Preparation: What you should be doing in order to submit a high-quality, competitive proposal to the funding agency.
- Early Preparation: Preparation practices and essential “need to know” items to ensure a successful submission.
- Preparation: Addressing the dreaded writing process with expectation examples from various agencies.
- Pre-submission: Wrapping up the writing process and best practices for a high-quality submission.
- Post-Submission: What to do once you have submitted your proposal.
- Open Q&A: Get answers to all of your questions
How is this program different than other SBIR webinars?
Most SBIR webinars are presented by government personnel that oversees the program in some manner. This is great. It offers straightforward information about the program’s purpose and guidelines and offers perspective into the agency and the reviewers’ processes. What it does not provide is insight from the perspective of a proposal preparation expert. This presentation will cover the basics, but the majority of the content will surround writing the proposal and the real-life experience our subject matter experts have gained throughout the years writing proposals for clients.
Why is there a small fee?
As stated in the paragraph above, this is a rare instance where a presentation is being delivered by a non-government entity. As such, even with the nominal attendance fee, we are sharing our valuable time and knowledge with attendees without generating a profit, and that’s ok. However, since we have skin in the game, we want to make sure our attendees do too. The registration fee increases the likelihood that those who sign up actually attend.
How do I know if it is a fit for me?
If you are a small business seeking funding, chances are you will have an interest in government funding opportunities, including SBIR/STTR. If you plan on applying for these opportunities at any time in the future, a little knowledge can go a long way. The application process is notoriously, complex, and competitive. Learning about proposal preparation before you apply is a great way to give your company a competitive edge over other applicants.
We work with high-growth startups and organizations that support the startup and innovation ecosystem. We build highly specific non-dilutive funding menus, provide proposal preparation services, and measure outcomes of funding through evaluation. Schedule a consult call with us HERE.