Want to get funded? Start with those government registrations

  • Monday, September 24, 2018 7:00 AM

Government funding can be tricky. Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grants, for example, are a great opportunity for small businesses to gain substantial funding to help their business grow.

However, there are a lot of steps a business needs to take to apply for SBIR and other forms of government funding, and missing one could set your business back substantially, or eliminate your opportunity to apply altogether. This is why it is critical that you do not wait until the deadline to look for and fulfill government registration requirements.

We strongly recommend that you begin the registration process 90+ calendar days in advance of the deadline.

Using SBIR as an example, the majority of SBIR grants will require your business to provide both a DUNS, and an Employee Identification Number (EIN).

All government grants will require some sort of registration on a government portal, such as Sam.gov, SBIR.gov, or grants.gov. Certain government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency, or the National Institute of Health, may have their own registration portals.

The Department of Defense, for example, requires applicants to register on its own DOD SBIR portal, in addition to grants.gov and Sam.gov. 

In sum, there are plenty of registration requirements, and meeting all of them is critical to securing funding through SBIR or other government programs. 


Let us help you meet your M/WBE utilization goal. We can help you locate funding, apply for funding, and help organizations measure & report on outcomes. See our experience with grant writing and evaluation services HERE.
Related Posts
error: Content is protected !!