E.B. Howard Consulting was founded in 2013 with the idea that proposal preparation and independent/external evaluation services can be useful, effective, efficient, and, most importantly, affordable. We have set out to provide high-quality, affordable services by offering various pricing and service options from the start.
Organizations that choose to work with us are involved every step of the way. From the initial crafting of a funding menu, through the proposal preparation process, and during the evaluation process, it truly is a collaborative, hands-on approach. These organizations also have a common goal to develop, fund, and implement innovative STEM-based solutions to various social, cultural, or environmental issues.
While we can not guarantee that every opportunity we identify will fund a client, or that every proposal we write will be funded, or that your evaluation report will indicate that your program’s goals & objectives will be achieved. However, we CAN guarantee a tailored approach grounded in the latest in best practices, appropriate methodology, and professional experience. We approach our work with clients as a partnership. The road to securing funding is not a quick process. We prioritize ongoing engagements that allow us to help our clients reach their goals and grow their success over time.
Our industry agnostic team has extensive experience and expertise with federal grant proposal preparation including, but not limited to, NIH, DOD, DOE, DoEd, NSF, FDA, BARDA, and more with a specific focus on SBIR/STTR (Phase I, Phase II, and FastTracks). We pride ourselves on providing high-quality proposals that are given deep consideration by reviewers and that are ultimately funded. Our team has secured well over $65M+ in non-dilutive funding sources such as NIH, DOD, DOE, DoEd, NSF, FDA, BARDA, and more. Awards range from $50,000 to $5,000,000 per project. You can see some of the more notable of our successes here.
We are happy to have a conversation about our services and pricing. Schedule a one-on-one consult call with us today HERE. We have customizable packages and service options for all budget needs. Listed below are some of our recommendations & guidelines for a successful experience with us.
Our General Guidance:
- Service Agreement: Our policy is not to begin work until there is a signed service agreement. A signed serviced agreement and deposit are due before engagement can begin.
- Deposit: We ask for a deposit of 50% of the invoice. The deposit is due at signing, and the remaining amount is due at the end of the services agreement unless otherwise noted in the services agreement. The deposit is non-refundable. E.B. Howard Consulting accepts all major credit cards, direct bank transfers, and checks.
- Pricing: We provide high-quality, affordable services by offering various pricing and service options from the start. Please note, if you are looking for a way to save a buck or two or get services at rock-bottom prices, we are not the firm for you.
- Contingency payment or commission payment: We DO NOT work on a contingency basis. Unlike most of our competitors, we do not take an incentive, contingency, or success fee. We uphold the ethics of the Grant Professional Association (GPA), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and the American Evaluation Association (AEA), and we follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). We follow the federal government’s Uniform Guidance regulations §200.209.
- Guarantees: We CANNOT imply, promise, or guarantee that your proposal(s) or projects will be funded, or that your evaluation report will indicate that your program’s goals & objectives will be achieved. We CAN guarantee a tailored approach grounded in the latest in best-practices, appropriate methodology, and professional experience. We approach our work with clients as a partnership. The road to securing funding is not a quick process. (Please Note: No reputable & ethical consultant can guarantee your proposal will win.)
- Confidentiality or Non-Disclosure Agreements: E.B. Howard Consulting will agree to adhere to standard confidentiality practices and that we agree not to disclose private information about the organization or its donors or funders. “Private information” does not include information available in the public domain. E.B. Howard Consulting is willing to sign an NDA.
- Regular Project Meetings: E.B. Howard Consulting encourages regular project meetings. Typically, this is once a week or as needed. This helps ensure that the project is on task and on schedule.
- Realistic Time Frames (Our 7 & 30 Rule): We typically will NOT take on projects with a deadline of less than 30 calendar days away from a deadline. For anything less than 30 days, we cannot confidentially ensure that your proposal is competitive or that the proposed project is accurate. We strongly recommend that project work starts between 90 to 60 days before a proposal or report deadline. With all of this in mind, we typically like to have all components of the proposal completed 7 calendar days in advance of the deadline. This is our internal deadline and we map out all project timelines with this internal deadline in mind.
- Last Minute Project – Express Rush Fee: Once in a while, there is an exception to our “realistic time frames” rule where a client has a short window and needs our help. We are happy to jump in and help, but it will cost you. We charge an express rush delivery fee added 50% to the cost for services for projects starting less than 14 calendar days away from the deadline and want to meet the funder’s deadline.
Regarding Proposal Preparation and SBIR/STTR:
- NSF SBIR’s Project Pitch: This element is required before a proposal be submitted to NSF SBIR. The cost for NSF SBIR Pitch Preparation is $750. This is a seperate fee is NOT part of the proposal preparation services.
- SBIR/STTR Fasttrack: If you are considering an NIH SBIR FastTrack application, there is an added 15%. to the cost for all services as the amount of work involved as NIH SBIR FastTrack requires additional documentation that includes a Phase II Research Strategy and Commercialization Plan.
- SBIR/STTR Phase II: If you are considering a Phase II application, there is an added 15% to the cost for services. The amount of work involved as Phase II requires additional documentation (e.g., commercialization plan).
- SBIR/STTR Clinical Trial: If you are considering an SBIR/STTR proposal that involves human subjects or animals, there is an added 15% to the cost for services as there is additional clinical trial documentation required.