Our General Guidance:
E.B. Howard Consulting was founded in 2013 with the idea that proposal preparation and independent/external evaluation services can be useful, effective, efficient, and, most importantly, affordable. We have set out to provide high-quality, affordable services by offering various pricing and service options from the start.
Organizations that choose to work with us are involved every step of the way. From the initial crafting of a funding menu, through the proposal preparation process, and during the evaluation process, it truly is a collaborative, hands-on approach. These organizations also have a common goal to develop, fund, and implement innovative STEM-based solutions to various social, cultural, or environmental issues.
Our industry agnostic team has extensive experience and expertise with federal grant proposal preparation including, but not limited to, NIH, DOD, DOE, DoEd, NSF, FDA, BARDA, and more with a specific focus on SBIR/STTR (Phase I, Phase II, and FastTracks). We pride ourselves on providing high-quality proposals that are given deep consideration by reviewers and that are ultimately funded. Our team has secured well over $65M+ in non-dilutive funding sources such as NIH, DOD, DOE, DoEd, NSF, FDA, BARDA, and more. Awards range from $50,000 to $5,000,000 per project. You can see some of the more notable of our successes here.
We are happy to have a conversation about our services and pricing. Schedule a one-on-one consult call with us today HERE. We have customizable packages and service options for all budget needs. Listed below are some of our recommendations & guidelines for a successful experience with us.
Disclaimers and FYIs
- Service Agreement: Our policy is not to begin work until there is a signed service agreement. A signed serviced agreement and deposit are due before engagement can begin.
- Deposit: We ask for a deposit of 50% of the invoice. The deposit is due at signing, and the remaining amount is due at the end of the services agreement unless otherwise noted in the services agreement. The deposit is non-refundable. E.B. Howard Consulting accepts all major credit cards and direct bank transfers.
- Contingency payment or commission payment: We DO NOT work on a contingency basis. Unlike most of our competitors, we do not take an incentive, contingency, or success fee. We uphold the ethics of the Grant Professional Association (GPA), the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and the American Evaluation Association (AEA), and we follow Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). We follow the federal government’s Uniform Guidance regulations §200.209.
- Guarantees: We CAN NOT imply, promise, or guarantee that your proposal(s) or projects will be funded or that your evaluation report will indicate that your program’s goals & objectives will be achieved. We CAN guarantee a tailored approach grounded in the latest in best practices, appropriate methodology, and professional experience. We approach our work with clients as a partnership. The road to securing funding is not a quick process. (Please Note: No reputable & ethical consultant can guarantee your proposal will win.)
- Realistic Time Frames Part I (30 Day Rule): We will NOT take on projects with a deadline of less than 30 calendar days away from a deadline.
- Realistic Time Frames Part II (7 Day Rule): We like to be done with all proposal work 7 calendar days in advance of the deadline. This 7 calendar day window allows for uploading into the platform and for the client to submit the proposal at least 48 hours in advance of the deadline.
- Confidentiality or Non-Disclosure Agreements: E.B. Howard Consulting will agree to adhere to standard confidentiality practices and that we agree not to disclose private information about the organization or its donors or funders. “Private information” does not include information available in the public domain. E.B. Howard Consulting is willing to sign an NDA.
- Regular Project Meetings: E.B. Howard Consulting encourages regular project meetings. Typically, this is once a week or as needed. This helps ensure that the project is on task and on schedule.
Proposal Preparation Additional Services
- Upgrading Your Services: Once you have a signed service agreement for proposal preparation, you may upgrade your services with us during the proposal preparation process. Look to your service agreement for details on how to upgrade services.
- SBIR/STTR Fasttrack: If you are considering an NIH SBIR FastTrack application, there is an added 15%. to the cost for all services as the amount of work involved as NIH SBIR FastTrack requires additional documentation that includes a Phase II Research Strategy and Commercialization Plan.
- SBIR/STTR Phase II: If you are considering a Phase II application, there is an added 15% to the cost for services. The amount of work involved in Phase II requires additional documentation (e.g., a commercialization plan).
- SBIR/STTR Clinical Trial: If you are considering an SBIR/STTR proposal that involves human subjects or animals, there is an added 15% to the cost for services as there is additional clinical trial documentation required.
- Multiple Proposal Pricing: Prices listed are per proposal. We do offer 15% off for each additional proposal.
Funding Menu Additional Services
- Updating Your Menu: Once your funding menu has been developed based on your organization’s needs, we can update it periodically, depending on your needs. Typically, this can be weekly, monthly, or quarterly at our hourly rate of $125 per hour at a 4-hour minimum ($500) per update. Talk with us about your updating needs.
- Self-Service Subscription: We have developed a non-dilutive capital database that you can subscribe to for an annual fee ($468) or for a monthly fee ($49/month totaling $588). StartupFundHub.com is the only subscription-based database that provides access to nondilutive capital funding for small businesses. This database is updated regularly as funding is available and made public by the funder. It is not industry-specific and provides less detailed information than a hand-curated, screened, and vetted funding menu.