• May 4, 2021

The Environmental Protection Agency is expected to release its next RFP (request for proposals) for the SBIR program. The EPA SBIR release is anticipated for June of 2021. Here is what you need to know to prepare.

What Is Needed to Apply

To apply for the Environmental Protection Agency SBIR Phase I, small businesses will need to register with several organizations.

  • DUNS Number – Applicants must obtain a Dun and Bradstreet business ID number to register. This cost-free registration is simple and is generally approved within 30 days. **In order to be eligible to apply for SAM and grants.gov you must use a unique physical location for your DUNS account. This means co-working spaces or shared offices will not suffice as your official address**
  • SAM – The system for awards management system is a mandatory registration for any entity receiving federal funding. SAM is the lengthiest and most complex registration process involved in the SBIR process. You will need your DUNS registration to be complete before you apply for SAM. If all goes well, the SAM process can take as little as two weeks, however, due to the complexity of the process it often takes longer. It is wise to begin the SAM approval process well in advance of your application to ensure timely proposal submission. In addition to the two weeks, SAM takes to approve, expect an additional business day for the information to update in the federal system confirming your approval and an additional 10 days to receive your CAGE code from SAM, another necessary ID number you will need to apply for federal proposals.
  • Grants.gov – In order to submit your proposal you will need to create two accounts on the grants.gov platform. The first account you create will be for your business as an organization. You will need both your DUNS and SAM number for this registration, so both must be complete when you register on grants.gov. After you create the business profile you must create an individual account with grants.gov for your AOR (authorized organizational representative). The AOR account will be needed to submit the proposal.

The Environmental Protection Agency SBIR Phase I federal award is a great way to get nondilutive funding for research and development based projects in any of the USDA focus areas. To learn more, view the RFP or visit the Environmental Protection Agency website.

Ready To Take the Next Step?

We assist our clients in locating, applying for, and evaluating the outcomes of non-dilutive grant funding. We believe non-dilutive funding is a crucial tool for mitigating investment risks, and we are dedicated to guiding our clients through the entire process—from identifying the most suitable opportunities to submitting and managing grant applications.